Thursday, July 24, 2014

Optimist Javanni says thanks

PRESIDENT-ELECT of Junior Optimist Octagon International (JOOI), Javanni Waugh is expressing appreciation to his fellow junior Optimists as well as the adult Optimists who supported and guided his path to the prestigious pole position he now holds.
The past Lt. Governor of the JOOI Caribbean District has once again made history as the first Jamaican and Caribbean youth to have risen this far. In 2013-14 he was the first junior from the region to serve on the International Board of Directors.
Javanni, a former member of the Fortis Octagon Junior Optimist Club (Kingston College), attributes much of his achievement to his own desire and drive to serve; but is also quick to acknowledge the exuberance of his contemporaries as well as the wisdom and motivation from the adult leadership of the Optimist International Caribbean District.
The election of the new JOOI administration was concluded at the recent JOOI Convention in San Diego, California July 5-8, 2014.

"Words cannot express how humbled, honoured and grateful I am to the delegates of our recently concluded International Convention in San Diego, California for electing me as International President for the upcoming 2014-2015 Optimist Year.
Taking over the reins from International President Stephanie Theriault come October 1 will be quite a task as she has led our organisation with poise and vision for the past year. Nevertheless, I am optimistic that the transition will be a smooth one setting the atmosphere for a successful year.
When I joined JOOI in 2011, I never imagined one day serving our great organisation at the highest level possible. Starting out as Club Secretary, I was tasked with crafting ideas for the growth of our club and this is where my love for service, administration and JOOI grew immensely. I found myself devoting so much time to the development of our club as a solid unit.
Utilising the experiences I garnered whilst serving as a JOOI Board of Director this past year, I am thrilled to expand my ideas and vision on a truly international scale. It is widely said that iron sharpens iron and JOOI has given me so much that I am eager to return the benefits gained to the over 15,000 members united to help children globally.
Thanks, again, to the thousands of JOOI members for trusting me to lead our great organisation to new heights.
In Service,
Javanni Waugh,
JOOI International President-Elect

And here is Javanni literally moments after his election in an email to one of his mentors:
Aunty Lisa!!!!!
Thank you sooooo much for your encouragement... Words can't explain how grateful I am to you for helping me reach this far in JOOI. Because of you, I am where I am today.
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much.
- Javanni

“If I can help somebody as I pass along then my living shall not be in vain” – Mahalia Jackson.
This is how I truly feel at this moment, a sense of fulfillment and happiness having heard of Javanni’s achievement. Being an optimist and having chaired the JOOI Caribbean District for almost 10 years gave me the opportunity to “help somebody” and so now I am overcome with ‘joy’ knowing that Javanni has reached thus far and will make the Caribbean JOOI District proud. His email to me reinforces why I became an Optimist and why I will continue to be an Optimist. Congratulations to you Javanni Waugh… continue reaching for the stars.
- Aunty Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment